Saturday, October 25, 2008

Glean it Clean


We've been watching the potato field across from us since spring. We watched as huge tractors moved like oversized alien beings all aglow planting seed late into the night. The potatoes grew, overnight, it sometimes seemed, and soon we took the lush green field for granted, as if it had always looked that way. This fall, Paige was the one who started wondering aloud when we thought they would harvest the field. I think she had the late night images from earlier this year still in her head. As soon as they trucks came, so did the gleaners, like seagulls, to pick up the potatoes left behind. My kids couldn't wait to get out there! Cheap entertainment and free food! Just another reason to love Kimberly.

2 comments:

Louise Harriosn said...

Those are some good looking potato gleaner. How I know what I get to eat when I come up to see you. YUMMY! YUMMY!!!!!

Happy Harrison said...

That's awesome. I just spent $3.00 for 5 pounds and was completely discusted. I thought, "these are potatos people! POTATOS! They shouldn't cost this much!"