Only two days later we were using those same shovels to try to stop this:
The kids did all the right things - shovels, buckets, hoses, fire extinguisher. Brady coming in to say they needed help. I have never called 911 in my life before. Justin came in to call but I was already on it.
The Rock Creek Volunteer Fire Dept. was actually pretty quick getting here. Our biggest concern was how fast it was heading toward the cliffs. We were afraid it would jump up to our neighbor's house.
How did it start? Model rocket gone awry. Innocent fun. We still have big puddles of water from the recent rain throughout the burned area, but that cheat grass stuff is just like paper! I don't want to imagine if this had happend in August. We all learned a lot from this. You hear how fast fire spreads, but I have never personally witnessed it. WOW. I called Darren right after I called 911 and he thought I was being silly. "It's so wet out there, it will just burn itself out". I started to question my frantic call to 911 until I went out again to help pour buckets on it and saw how fast it had spread. I was so glad to see the fire trucks! I called Darren back and basically yelled at him to get home, he responded that he was right behind the fire trucks and that he couldn't believe the HUGE plume of smoke he could see all the way from Frontier, I think he got the picture at that point!
My boys and their friend did exactly what they should have. I'm proud of how they reacted. Hopefully it won't happen again, but we all have a little experience under our belts now!
My boys and their friend did exactly what they should have. I'm proud of how they reacted. Hopefully it won't happen again, but we all have a little experience under our belts now!
In the meantime, Uncle Pete, enough of you and your toys!





3 comments:
Way to much excitment for me. Good job boys..(and mom). Way to use your smarts!! Never a dull moment at the Smith's place.
WOW! That's incredible. I'm glad it turned out relatively ok.
...hmmm did you curse Pete's name? I'm glad it didn't get any worse than that. Looks like that June grass will be under control now!
Post a Comment