Friday, September 17, 2010

Slippery


My kids are getting slippery.
The oldest one in particular.
I feel him getting away from me. He's off to school, then cross country practice, down the stairs to do homework, off to a meeting, so tired straight to bed. Surfacing for food. So many good things, things I want him to do. The time of my influence over his life is shortening. Did anyone tell me this when he was little? I suppose they did but I just didn't believe them.
It seems I spent a lifetime pushing, prodding. "You can do it! You don't need me." Worrying I could quite possibly be holding his hand as he walks up to get his diploma. Now I find myself reaching, holding, grabbing. Plopping myself on his bed late at night when he finally finds a second to pack for a kayak trip/campout. He talks non-stop, hurrying around the room, stuffing things into a backpack, rolling up a therm-a-rest. I relish in the moment.
"So mom," he says, "tomorrow pick me up at 4:25 then I have to be at so and so's at 5:00. I'm coming back early to help with so and so's Eagle Project, and then......."

1 comment:

mama of many said...

Oh Lisa! I hear ya! Time is fleating BUT you and Darren are very inspiring parents so look forward to him doing LOTOJA with Darren, marathons with you etc...