Admit it.
When you think of me you AUTOMATICALLY think words like beauty pageant, glitter spray, and foofy dresses.
This was the second year I was involved in the Miss Kimberly Scholarship Pageant. Talk about a fish out of water! I was a mentor to one of the girls this year.
I ended up having a lot of fun, and learning a lot! The other mentors were a blast. The pageant directors shushed us several times - we just kept each other laughing. I guess I should say, my "dance team" and I had a blast. They taught us a short dance we had to go on stage with the girls and do.....we tried to get out of it, even faking injuries one night - 5 of us showed up with crutches, etc. By the time I showed up with Paige's boot on they were onto us - so we had to agree to go on stage!
The contestants had to do a lot. They had to prepare a platform, something they felt strongly about and could implement to improve the community of Kimberly. They did a lot of service, mentored a younger "Little Miss K", and attended a lot workshops teaching not only pageant stuff, but life skill stuff. They had to be interviewed and defend their platform. I sat in on it with my girl, it was pretty intense!
Then there was the talent, dancing with their escorts (Sr. boys who actually attended several dance practices) in tuxes, the walk and impromptu question - "world peace" kind of things:)
A good experience, but also glad it is over!





No comments:
Post a Comment