Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Business and Biking in Bozeman

Darren had a little work in Bozeman, and a few places in between....
  • A raft to set up in Blackfoot - met the nicest people.  Empty nesters/fishermen ready to adventure into rafting land.  A permit on the Smith this summer - nearly impossible to get a hold of.
  • A dry box to pick up in W. Yellowstone at the Grizzly and Wolf Discovery center.  We sent it there to be "bear tested".   Didn't go as well as planned, but was a cool stop nonetheless.  There are really a lot of interesting people, that do interesting things.  Did you know that a raven has the same body to brain ratio as a dolphin?  A funny thing to learn at a bear and wolf center, I know.
  • 20 boxes to unload in Bozeman.  Ed was moving from Ketchum.  To fish. 

So, naturally we threw in the mountain bikes.  Asked a few locals about trails, ate in cool places - LaParilla, and the Chickpea Cafe.  We LOVED Bozeman.  What a cool place!  Mountain atmosphere, home to MSU, it really was a happening town.  I think I could move there.  But then Darren reminded me that until a month ago it was probably COVERED in snow.  Like since October.

Saturday morning we headed out to Leverich Canyon.   A 5.5 mile trail.  I have been tired (that is an understatement) since last Saturday's Ironman attempt.  Actually I have been tired for like 3 months.  So we were going to go easy.  I made it .75 miles,  as in 3/4 of a mile, and broke into a cold sweat, shaking, breathing SO hard.  It was steep.  But, .75 miles!  I turned around while Darren banged out the trail.  One of the funnest he's been on.  Thanks.    

We ate lunch, checked out a bike shop and headed to another higher recommended trail.  It took longer to find it than to ride it......it was beautiful, but eventually got too wet and snowy, and since it was an out and back, we knew the wet, gooey mess we were working our way up was the same wet, gooey mess we would come down. So we decided to sit on a log and rest in the sun instead of continuing.  3 miles in and I was struggling.  Still going, but struggling.  Oh my.

What a great weekend!  Besides that I was so tired.  Am still tired.  Everyone around here is tired of me saying I'm tired.  But I'm tired.  

Anyway, FUN mother's day weekend!  I'd go to Bozeman again in a heartbeat!

No comments: