Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Best Place In the World

When I was young, a trip to Henrieville, UT was the most exciting, most anticipated event of the summer. Henrieville is 19 miles from Bryce Canyon and sits in the middle of what is now the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument. My mother was born and raised here along with her 4 sisters. There is hardly a more beautiful place on this earth. In my mind the beauty is definitely enhanced by the great memories that dwell there for me. The kids and I caravaned to Southern Utah with the rest of my family for the Hughes family reunion (my grandma was the oldest of 12? Hughes siblings) My mom's family was in charge this year, and I got more than one encouraging nudge to be in attendance (I love you mom). We took a hike to the "Girl's Playhouse" just a hop, skip and jump from what used to be my grandma's house. I'm not sure what Paige expected - slides and jumpy houses? It is a beautiful rock formation on the side of a mtn.
Ryan, Emily, and Julianna took the hike with us. Yes Ryan, I see the pink mountain.
Nice hat, Clayton.

As we drove around Henrieville (it took 5 min.) and past where my grandma used to live I had to control the urge to jump out of the car and run up on the porch, make the leap to the side of the cellar stair wall and jump across to the back porch. (If you're in my family you know exactly what I'm talking about). I could still smell what her house smelled like. I loved that place! It is interesting how things are different when you go back as an adult and you start to see things for what they really are. The house is so small, old, lacking so many ammentities, and did I say old? But as kid I felt like I was in heaven being there. The memories of my grandma include picking beans, making pie crust, hiking in Kodachrome, and her teaching my brothers and me to shoot the .22 - she was a dead aim. How many people can say their grandma taught them to shoot a gun? If I close my eyes I can picture the mountians off the back porch, still see the cracks in the cement and hear my grandma's hoarse laugh as she watches something crazy the grandkids were doing. To me it will always be the best place in the world.

3 comments:

Louise Harriosn said...

Those were some of the BEST OF TIMES. The memories of being in Henrieville with our 4 children and sometimes "the cousins"....FUN, FUN,FUN...
Now I know, your glad I nudged you to come. Thanks, you know I couldn't have done the reunion without you. Your wonderful...
The pictures are great!

Hansen's said...

Lis..sounds like you had so much fun. I love all the memories of your grandmas house..that is the coolest! I love grandmas..mine use to make me cinnamon toast..actual toast with cinnamon and sugar..YUM! I am really glad your home..we need to have some serious chat time! see ya, Nicole

melissa and nathan said...

Lisa,
Your blog gave me goose bumps! Family is seriously what it is all about!