skip to main |
skip to sidebar
Fat is better than Skinny
The love affair I once had with my mountain bike had become a distant memory, brought to my attention only when Darren would mention casually that he had taken my bike out (he loves my bike too). I spent the summer on my skinny tires, road biking. It's been all good, until now. I finally got out on my fat tires, climbing up Dry Gulch, mind you the NEW Dry Gulch, oooooh so much better now, made this way by tireless trail builders, including my kids. I remembered quickly how much I LOVED my mtn. bike- the angle of the frame feels like it's a part of my body, the suspension is a dream, and the brakes, ooooh the brakes! This is the kind of stuff I love to do with Darren, we even color coordinated, you'll notice. He was patient with me, since LOTOJA training I'm sooo far out of his league, and as for the downhill, I still hear his mantra in my head as I feel like I'm flying out of control - NO BRAKES! NO BRAKES! I dare to stay off the brakes for one more second ........ and then I have to brake or I feel like I might die! Meanwhile he's a speck at the bottom of the gulley. Plus I have MAJOR target fixation on a mtn. bike (like when you tell yourself over and over "don't go over the edge, don't go over the edge" and the next thing you know you're going head first over edge... it works the same with large rocks and bushes - a story for another post). Anyway, after today, I agree more and more with Darren: road biking exists to keep in shape for mtn. biking. So, fat is better than skinny after all!
2 comments:
It must run in the family. I do the same thing, don't go off the edge, and then all of the sudden I am of the edge and don't know how it happened. I feel better that I am not the only one who does that. I hope to someday remember that feeling of being on my mountain bike!
Post a Comment