Saturday, March 7, 2009

Go 'Dawgs

Friday we were out of school because the B0y's basketball team at Kimberly was playing in State (don't worry, we got out two weeks ago for the girl's team).

And since we are such HUGE fans and never miss a game..... we went skiing! We have SO got our money out of the season passes.

We were one of the first cars up there that morning, driving on fresh snow. It snowed the entire time we were there, the sun breaking through just as we drove away.

The kids had their gear on by the time we hit the parking lot (they start dressing at Third Fork, wouldn't want to waste a second, you know). As soon as they took off, I got my snowshoes on and headed for the top of the mountain opposite the ski resort, Pike's peak. This is my tradition, I DON'T have a season pass, you see.

It seems like forever to the top, reaching the crest of one hill, only to see another. This time it was a total blizzard. The closer you get to the top the stronger the wind gets. I pretend I'm attempting Everest. It feels like a daring adventure, then I rememeber I am in the South Hills, HILLS, as in not mountains. I kept checking my bearings - I am famoulsy directionally challenged. If I wasn't exactly sure of the way back down I could easily end up at the buffet at Cactus Petes. Once at the top I considered it, I was really hungry. The banana and water in my pack didn't seem like it would do the trick.

My hands were colder than my stomach was hungry, so I left the snacks in the pack, along with my book, and headed down to the shack at the top of an old abandoned ski lift. Darren says this is a perfect reading spot. You see, he doesn't have a season pass either.

The shack scares me, I have yet to go in. It looks like lots of spiders could live in there. There is a really cool, old chair in there though. I head down, and because I am insane, when I get to the bottom I turn around and head back up. Not all the way to the top this time, I'm not THAT insane.

And lest I feel too tough, Darren kite skiied close to 60 miles on this day! Heaven on earth.



1 comment:

mama of many said...

I love people that live their passion! Thanks for being so inspirational!!