After LOTOJA we decided to stay a few extra days to celebrate our 17th anniversary.
I have wanted to do this for a while now, and Darren finally admitted on the hike up that he was hoping all weekend that I wasn't seriously intending on making him do the 12 mile hike two days after his race. But, I was serious and have no mercy for people who willingly ride 206 miles in a day for fun. In reality, he wasn't tired or sore, so I don't know what he was complaining about.
We packed our backpack with stuff we scrounged out of the car, mostly stuff leftover from the race. Half eaten packages of shot blocks (we love those things), gu, trail mix. We packed pizza leftover from Tony's, a hopping pasta joint in Driggs, to eat at the top. We shared pro bars during the first miles of hiking for breakfast. It's amazing what you can make do with, especially with no kids around to complain about being hungry.
The Grand was so close. I felt like I could reach out and grab it. It seemed tempting to hike down the ridge and go to it. Then I realized there was a several thousand? feet ravine between us and IT.
It was a beautiful clear day. Once we got on top some clouds started to gather as they do everyday around the Grand. The temp. dropped, it was cold up there!
Darren went off on a different little trail. Because of the snow it was difficult to see where the actual trail went. I really should have kept on my own trail. I should know after 17 years of marriage to NOT follow Darren. I know better than this. Why? Why? But I gave in to his sense of adventure, I always do.
Two hours later, knees screaming, quads burning......





3 comments:
Beautiful!!!! Glad you two could do that, why not it just added one more thing to your list of adventures you & your family have done.
so fun. I hiked table rock when I was about 20 something. It was a great experience. I don't remember it being 12 miles. That sounds like a long hike to me now. I was in such better shape back then I didn't even notice.
Seriously. Do you guys ever sit down? I hiked table rock a few(o.k. maybe a lotta)years back. It was beautiful. I didn't remember that it was 12 miles. I was so much younger back then I guess I didn't even notice. That sounds hard to me now.
Post a Comment