Monday, September 8, 2008

LOTOJA - (low ta juh)

These men just rode LOTOJA. 1 day 3 states 206 miles! The race starts in Logan, UT and ends in Jackson, WY. On bikes, people! Not motor ones either. 11.5 hours. If Darren wasn't your hero before, he should be now! He was mine already, but now he is my superhero!
Team IdaFlorUtes before the race. One of these people we had never met before and another Darren had never ridden with.
Darren at the start in Logan, Utah. They left at 7:34am and arrived in Teton Village at 7:00 pm.
Darren in Afton after 3 BIG passes and 120 miles. Honestly he didn't even seem tired. This was right around the corner from my grandmas house, I drove right past the hundreds of cars trying to park and pulled into her drive way. HA! I thought, got you on this one!
Finish. Ambulance workers on site just in case. I felt like I needed them, I drove for 12 hours! The cars were sent on a longer alternate route for the first half of the race converging with the race only to meet their riders at feed zones. The traffic was at a standstill several times, and parking at the feed zones was a nightmare. I felt like I was in some kind of a race too! I didn't have time to stop and get food or whatever very much. Darren rode 206 miles and I was the one who was dehydrated. Next time I'll take a helper with me!
Helmet head in the shadow of the Tetons. He did so well, he didn't even seem like he had done anything. His legs felt fine, but at the last feed station at Alpine, with 47 miles to go, he was really sick to his stomach. That was the first time all day I had seen any kind of discomfort on his face. The word GU (as in the energy gel) is now a swear word and we are not allowed to say it. He has been starving since after the race, but we went swimming today, if he had had time he said he could feel like a mtn. bike ride. I honestly don't know where the energy comes from.

Another lady from our team took lots of pictures, (she had another person with her) so I'll post them when I get them)

2 comments:

BYU Women's Soccer said...

You two are amazing! You are both my hero! 206 miles, one on bike, one in car, 12 hours, simply amazing! Darren we probably passed you, wish we could have cheered you on, we did from the river, we were looking for you! Good work you guys! I have some BYU hoodies for your hard work!

Melanie said...

I did not realize you drove for 12 hours alone... wow... you both amaze me!