Sunday, January 2, 2011

New Year's Day Hike/Run

OK, so it was SOOOOOO cold on New Years Day. The boys had skiied the day before and FROZE! We were not too motivated to ski. So we stayed home and CLEANED! It was awesome! I had everyone's help to recover from the holiday craziness!
Of course our kids are always needing some kind of fun, an adventure. They kept asking what we were going to do fun that day. Some felt like a movie, (we really only have one movie goer in the family), but there were no other takers.
Darren saved the day and came up with a run/hike into the canyon to a place we had never been.



It was a really cool place. But did I mention it was COLD?

Brady, Paige and I came walking up the trail to find Darren and Justin waiting for us. Darren asked us how many eyes we thought were looking at us. It took us a while to see this little guy in a nearby tree. We named him Mr. Needles. He was not very fast moving away from us through all the branches.

I learned that Porcupines don't shoot their quills, you have to actually rub up against them to get poked by them.

Justin took this picture of a spring in the bottom of the canyon.


We circled around and ended up at the top of Twin Falls Grade. I headed straight for the truck. I was way too cold for a picture. I had come prepared to run the rest of the way home, but quickly nixed that idea. I could not warm up!
We dropped Darren and Justin off a mile from home to run the rest of the way, and Brady drove Paige and me home. He did really good for a 12 year old, except for the looking down to check where the brake was! He later said that dad was a lot more fun to drive with, he didn't get so worried! I guess it's just my job to worry.




No comments: