The kids and I planted the garden this year. A huge black cloud was forming in the west as we started. We pushed on, not wanting to stop once we had started. We probably should have stopped. We joked that the carrots and radishes would probably come up on the cliffs; we think more seed blew away than went into the ground.
It has not been a beautiful, well kept garden this year. In fact, there are certain people I hope never see it, they would faint at the sight of so many weeds. But it has produced a lot for us! Not so many carrots or radishes, and the rock chucks ate a ton of it when it first sprouted. They ate a lot of the corn, all of the beans, and a lot of the squash and cucumbers. You might notice the live animal trap in the back ground of the picture. It didn't help a lot. The kids shot a few of the little varmints, but not soon enough!
We love artichokes and tried a plant just for fun this year, it did great! We are eating potatoes and corn like crazy right now, and I will have plenty of tomatoes for my marinara sauce!
Our fruit trees started to produce this year. We got enough peaches to eat, the next tree is about ripe...I already canned 16 qts.....more to come!!!
Don't judge a book by its cover, or a garden by its weeds!





No comments:
Post a Comment